Sunday 1 July 2012

Cancer Research UK Race for Life Shrewsbury

The day is Tuesday 26th June 2012.  The weather is showery but warm.

We arrive early for my very first ever Race for Life.  I had no idea what to expect about parking so thought the early arrival would be a good way to start.

Apart from the organisers we were the first to arrive.  The grass was extremely long and it took a bit of pushing power to get the wheelchair from the car park to the showground itself. 

It was well worth the effort as everyone we met were really friendly.

I had decided to push the manual wheelchair around the course myself as it had been described as "flat". 

Once the warm up was out of the way.  Runners were asked to go first followed by walkers then prams and wheelchairs.  I was lucky enough to have found a fellow racer who offered to push me over the wet muddy bits and long grass should the wheelchair get stuck. 

Off we set.

I had no idea how long it would take me to complete the course or what my goal finish time would be.

As I did the second lap of the circuit I knew I was heading for about the hour mark. 

With this in mind this is what happened. 



I was just outside the hour mark with a time of 1 hour and 5 minutes but the effort was worth it.  The money raised was going to a good cause and I did it on behalf of everyone at Swimming After Surgery (SAS)

Hence the pink swimming fins on my feet


The bottle of water was certainly needed.  The goody bag was a lovely present.  Yes those are bananas next to me as a team called "The Monkeys" were running and walking.  They were so supportive they came back after they completed their race to help those of us who were stuggling with the wet grassy/muddy hill and pushed us up that bit to make the going easier for us.  Once on the flat I was off like a rocket.

Would I do the event again.  Yes I definitely would as community spirit was certainly in abundance and everyone helped each other through the hard parts.

That is what life is all about.



No comments:

Post a Comment